The role requires a wide range of technical skills, and the ability to quickly learn new areas of design. Product technologies will span automated production equipment, process engineering, and electrical test systems. The Design Engineer will take on new technical challenges through support from subject matter experts, research, adoption of industry codes and standards and best practices.
The engineer actively works with customers, vendors, and internal project teams to rapidly mature the products within the company. Greenlight Innovation operates globally, so occasional local and international travel is required to provide commissioning and training at customer sites.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
• Project execution of new and early-stage products.
• Technical leadership of new products, capturing feedback and lessons learned to rapidly mature product designs and work processes.
• Communication of product definition and design details to other technical teams.
• Active hands-on support for projects throughout the project lifecycle; including assembly, testing and customer installation.
• Develop new vendors and machine shops to facilitate Supply Chain activities for new products.
• Follow established functional safety processes to identify design hazards and develop safe designs.
• Manage project planning, coordination, and communication from start to finish.
• Typical engineering project deliverables will include development of specifications, BOMs, engineering calculations, risk assessments, DFMEAs, SolidWorks assembly models, P&IDs, machine part drawings, software description of operations, and assembly aids.
• Work with Sales team and customers to understand design requirements, develop technical solutions, and support the quoting process.
Your Profile and Qualifications:
• Bachelors degree in related engineering field, P.Eng or eligible to apply.
• 5+ years of machine design and/or automation experience, working in a ‘systems’ capacity.
• Strong proficiency in designing with SolidWorks; including: assembly, machine part design, sheet metal, assembly aids, and PDM.
• Proficient in component design/selection: material selection, GD&T, stress analysis, design for fabrication/service, drawing, machine shop management.
• Able to design motion control systems with pneumatic, hydraulic, and servo actuation.
• Familiarity with low voltage electrical systems, sensors, industrial control systems.
• Hands-on capability to build, test and troubleshoot electro-mechanical equipment.
• Self-starter, with the ability to develop solutions.
• Able to identify project risks and apply mitigations
• Experience applying accepted functional safety methodologies to designs and working with applicable codes and standards.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of, and interest in automation, fuel cell and lithium-ion battery technologies.
• Able to travel internationally.
• An interest in playing a role in the success of a clean tech company.
Who We Are:
Greenlight Innovation (greenlightinnovation.com) is a key contributor to the development of a clean energy future. Our customers use our specialized equipment to develop and build the next generation of fuel cell and battery electric vehicles and energy storage systems. We have the largest install base of electrochemical cell testing equipment in the world.
Our work environment will provide opportunities for career growth and independence in a fast-paced industry, and our roots as a process-based, lean operation will provide experience in a structured, process driven environment.
We are advocates of cycling to work and the use of public transportation. Our facility can be reached by Skytrain and the Central Valley Greenway bike lane, and is located near the Burnaby Lake trail system.
To apply for the position, please send your cover letter and resume with a list of personal technical projects (both past and present) to:
While we sincerely appreciate every application, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.